Travel Guide to Christ the Redeemer Statue on Corcovado Mountain in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Christ the Redeemer is located on the summit of Corcovado Mountain in Rio de Janeiro.
More than 6 million tourists travel to Brazil every year, and the vast majority of them visit Rio. Upon arrival, the first attraction – usually – they wish to visit is the famous Christ the Redeemer statue.
On your trip to Rio de Janeiro, you’ll probably wish to visit Christ the Redeemer, which is listed as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.
Why, then, do thousands of visitors each year leave disappointed?
1. Too many visitors!
→ There are too many visitors to the Christ the Redeemer Statue on a typical very busy day. Because of this, there may be very long lines to get to the ticket office to pay the admission fee and/or lines to board the transportation.
2. No visibility
→ Of either Rio de Janeiro or the Christ the Redeemer Statue due to a cloud cover!
The majority of Rio de Janeiro travel guides don’t give detailed how-to information on how to avoid waiting in line. Additionally, they usually fail to tell visitors how to avoid wasting their time and money on visiting the Christ Monument when there is no visibility.
It is quite common to see travelers reading their Rio de Janeiro travel guidebooks while waiting in line. Or disappointingly reading their books while waiting the cloud cover to dissipate (if it does).
Don’t let your fun vacation day in Rio de Janeiro be ruined for lack of information on Christ the Redeemer. Learn the secrets of visiting the Christ the Redeemer statue on Corcovado Mountain by getting a copy of the e-book Christ the Redeemer Statue: A comprehensive guidebook.
This book has been written by myself, a Rio de Janeiro tour guide who has visited the statue more than 900 times! Download the Christ the Redeemer e-book (in PDF) by clicking below.
Christ the Redeemer Statue: A comprehensive guidebook to visiting the Rio de Janeiro landmark atop Corcovado Mountain
What do you get from the Christ the Redeemer statue insider’s guidebook?
• Updated (2014 edition!) with easy step-by-step instructions
→ How to visit the Christ the Redeemer Monument without a tour guide, lines, or disappointments! The best travel tips on how to get there.
• Relevant historic facts, figures and curiosities
→ Learn all the interesting curiosities and fun facts about the Christ the Redeemer Statue and Corcovado Mountain.
• Maps of the area illustrating suggested activities
→ Such as: walking tours, photo-op locations, restaurants, cafes, snack and juice bars where locals go, directions and more…
→ Contact list of recommended group tour operators and private tour guides if you wish to visit the Christ the Redeemer on a guided tour.
Photos of and from Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Click on the first photo to enlarge it. Then, press the right arrow key to browse all pictures.
Christ the Redeemer Statue: A comprehensive guidebook to visiting the Rio de Janeiro landmark atop Corcovado Mountain
Table of Contents of Christ the Redeemer Statue Travel Guide book, 2014 Edition
Answers to Practical Questions on Visiting Christ the Redeemer
1 (A) Practicalities:
Q. What are the opening/operating hours of Christ the Redeemer statue?
- What are the ticket office hours to Christ the Redeemer statue?
- How often does the transportation to Christ the Redeemer depart? what time is the first at daytime and the last one at night daily?
- How does the Daylight Saving Time (DST) affect the opening hours of Christ the Redeemer statue?
Q. How much is the admission fee to Christ the Redeemer statue?
- Does the transportation round-trip tickets include admission and access to Christ the Redeemer statue?
- How much does it cost the entrance fee in R$ (Brazilian currency), US$ (American dollars), or € (euros)?
Q. How long does it take to visit Christ the Redeemer statue?
- How much time is needed departing from Copacabana, Ipanema or Leblon?
- How long does it take to visit Christ statue in low-, mid- and high-season?
- How about around Carnival, New Years Day, Easter, and national public holidays and school vacation week?
- What is the total visiting time if departing from the cruise ship terminal, Rio de Janeiro international and domestic airport Antonio Carlos Jobim/Galeao (GIG), or from the Santos Dumont airport (SDU)? Can you visit Christ statue on a layover?
Q. How do I visit Christ the Redeemer statue by myself?
- Christ the Redeemer statue self-guided. How do you get to Corcovado Mountain on your own, without a tour? How to reach Christ the Redeemer statue?
- By public transportation? By tram, bike, taxi, minibus (van), subway, hop on hop off double-decker bus, walking up, on a train journey? Any shuttle transfer? What is the best and easiest way to get to Christ the Redeemer?
- Where do you board the safest means of transport? In Cosme Velho, Lido, Paineiras, Largo do Machado (Catete)?
- Where are the current points of departure? Directions and address.
- Where to buy in Copacabana the round-trip ticket? Or should you buy the Christ the Redeemer tickets in advance online? At what official website?
- How long does it take to visit Christ the Redeemer statue on your own? Find a detailed and updated suggested step-by-step plan to get up to Christ the Redeemer.
- Are there discounted entrance tickets for children or seniors? Do they accept credit or debit cards?
Q. How do I visit Christ the Redeemer statue on a budget?
Q. Can I walk up to the statue?
- is it safe to walk all the way to Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro?
Q. Can I cycle up to the statue on Corcovado Mountain?
Q. Can I drive myself to the Corcovado summit?
Q. Is it safe to visit Christ the Redeemer statue?
- What are the risks involved in visiting Christ the Redeemer statue in Brazil?
- Could you be mugged or robbed on the way to or at Corcovado Mountain? How about pickpocketing?
- Is it safe for women and others travelling alone?
- How safe is for a family with children?
- Is it safe to take an expensive DSLR camera? or a cheap discreet one is a better choice?
Q. When is the best time of the day to visit Christ the Redeemer statue, regardless of the clouds?
- Is the Jesus Christ statue best visited in the morning, afternoon, sunset, or evening?
- On a Saturday or Sunday? or on a weekday?
- What time to go on high or low season?
- What are the advantages of getting to the statue at the right time on the quietest day?
Q. When is the worst time of the year to visit Christ the Redeemer statue?
- During the Brazilian national winter or summer holidays? how about spring and autumn?
- When do the crowd of tourists and cruisers go to Corcovado Mountain?
- When will it be the busiest days and bad times in 2014 and 2015?
- How busy are April, May, June, July, August, September, and October?
Q. What are the facilities at Corcovado?
- How good is the infrastructure at Corcovado Mountain?
- Are there clean restrooms, snack and juice bars, restaurants, open-air cafes, souvenir stores?
- How adapted is the area for seniors, wheelchair users, and handicapped visitors?
- Are there escalators, elevators, steps (how many)?
Q. What is the code of conduct for visitors of Christ the Redeemer statue?
- Do’s and don’ts at Corcovado Mountain.
Q. What is the dress code to visit Christ the Redeemer statue?
Q. What is the temperature/climate at Corcovado summit?
- How cold, hot or windy is in November, December, January, February, March, and in other months?
1 (B) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Q. Why visit Christ statue atop Corcovado Mountain?
- Is it worth-going to Christ the Redeemer statue?
- What are the reasons to visit this monument?
- Will Cristo Redentor (Christ the Redeemer) meet your expectations?
- Is it really an absolutely must-see in Brazil?
Q. Do I need to visit Sugar Loaf after having visited Christ statue?
- Should you skip Sugarloaf Mountain when going sightseeing in Rio de Janeiro?
- Aren’t the vistas of Rio the same on Corcovado and Sugarloaf Mountains?
- Christ the Redeemer versus Sugarloaf Mountain.
Q. How many people visit the statue each year?
Q. What can I see from the top of Corcovado Mountain?
Q. What wildlife might I see around Christ the Redeemer statue?
Q. How long can I stay at the Corcovado summit?
- How much time do you need up at Christ the Redeemer statue?
- How long most tourists stay for?
Q. Am I allowed to touch Christ the Redeemer statue?
Q. Can I go inside Christ the Redeemer statue?
Q. Can a visit to Christ the Redeemer statue be disappointing?
- What are the factors that can impact negatively on your experience at Corcovado Mountain in Rio de Janeiro: bad weather, clouds, rain, wind, visibility, crowds, lines, timing?
- Why staying only one day in Rio can lead to disappointment when visiting Christ the Redeemer?
Q. Is there a way to check whether the Christ the Redeemer statue is covered by clouds?
- Where can you see whether or not there is a cloud cover on Christ statue?
- Where are the vantage points to check Christ the Redeemer’s visibility?
- How the weather forecast can impact on your plans?
- Should you visit the statue on a rainy day if you have no other choice? how clear can Christ the Redeemer be on such days?
Q. How do I rate the helicopter tour over Christ the Redeemer statue?
- Is it worth-taking the helicopter flight to see Christ statue from above?
- How long does it take to fly? How much does it cost?
- Where is the ideal helipad for tourists?
- How do you make reservations? Do they accept credit cards?
- Have there been any helicopter accident involving tourists?
- What is the helicopter tour company website (in English)?
Q. Are there guides at Corcovado to explain about Christ the Redeemer statue and the vistas?
Q. Is it necessary to hire a tour guide? Should I take an organized tour to visit Christ the Redeemer statue?
Q. What is the best way to visit Christ the Redeemer statue: by myself or on a guided tour?
- What are the pros and con’s of visiting Christ the Redeemer by yourself or on an organised tour?
- What are the legitimate, reputable, and recommended tour operators/agencies and private tour guides?
Q. How to get from Corcovado Train Station or from the minibus shuttle stand to Sugar Loaf on a budget?
Q. How to get from Sugar Loaf to Corcovado Train Station or to the minibus shuttle stand on a budget (the cheapest way)?
History, Curiosities, Facts and Figures about Corcovado and Christ the Redeemer statue
Q. What is Corcovado?
Q. When was the first official expedition to reach the top of Corcovado Mountain?
Q. When was the Corcovado cog railway built?
Q. When was the famous Christ the Redeemer statue built?
Q. How long did it take to build?
Q. Where did the idea to build the Christ statue come from?
Q. Who was the architect-engineer who designed the Christ statue?
Q. Why was the Christ statue built?
Q. Why was Corcovado Mountain chosen to as the location for the Christ statue?
Q. Has anyone ever protested against the Christ statue construction?
Q. Who paid for the construction of the Christ statue?
Q. How much did Christ the Redeemer statue cost to build?
Q. To whom does the Christ statue belong?
Q. Was Christ the Redeemer statue a gift from France to Brazil like the Statue of Liberty was to the USA?
Q. Why was the collaboration of a French sculptor necessary in the project?
Q. Who else was involved in the project?
Q. How did the material get to the Corcovado summit?
Q. How many workers were involved in the construction and in what conditions?
Q. How many workers died during the construction?
Q. Was the statue built from bottom to top, or from top to bottom?
Q. What is the Christ statue made of?
Q. What sort of material covers the statue?
Q. What are the statue’s measurements?
Q. How strong is Christ the Redeemer statue?
Q. What is that metal structure coming out of the upper part of the head, arms, and hands?
Q. What other almost invisible details should I look for?
Q. Is Christ the Redeemer statue lit up at night?
Q. Was Christ the Redeemer statue lit up at the inauguration?
Q. What is the interior of the statue like?
Q. Where is the entrance to the interior of the statue?
Q. Are Masses said at the Christ the Redeemer statue?
Q. How big is the Catholic chapel?
Q. Can I get married in the Christ the Redeemer’s chapel?
Q. Can I get baptized in the Christ the Redeemer’s chapel?
Q. Where are the casting moulds of the Christ the Redeemer statue? Who owns them?
Q. Who are among the many celebrities who have visited the Christ the Redeemer statue?
Q. How did Brazilians and the Archdiocese of Rio view the collapsing of Christ statue in the Movie 2012?
Q. How much did the heavy rain of 1966 block access to Corcovado?
Q. How much did the heavy rain of 2010 block access to Corcovado?
Q. When was the Christ statue first washed?
Q. When was the first full-scale restoration of the Christ statue?
Q. When was the last full-scale restoration of the Christ statue?
Q. When was the surface of the Christ statue vandalized with graffiti?
Q. Has anyone ever BASE-jumped from Christ the Redeemer statue?
Q. How has Christ the Redeemer statue been named one of the New Seven Wonders of the World?
Q. Is Christ the Redeemer the tallest Jesus statue in the world?
Maps and layouts related to Christ the Redeemer statue and Rio de Janeiro
Cosme Velho Neighborhood Map. Locate on this map what is near the train ground station to Christ the Redeemer: taxis (official taxi stand), Internet cafes, budget lunch (among the cheapest, and good), drinking places, restaurants, ATM’s (to get local money), bus stops, supermarket (grocery store), International Museum of Naive Art, Largo do Boticario (Boticario Square), direction to Mirante Dona Marta (Dona Marta Overlook), railway up to Christ the Redeemer statue, and suggested walking tour of the area.
Corcovado Summit Map. Overview and plan of the summit featuring important and helpful information for tourists visiting Christ the Redeemer.
Best Photo-op Locations on Corcovado Summit. On this map you can find the top 5 locations for taking photos of you with the statue or Rio de Janeiro in the background. Many visitors miss the opportunity of taking the best photos during the Chirst the Redeemer tour.
Interior of Christ the Redeemer Statue. You can’t go inside Christ the Redeemer statue, but you can undestand how is it inside with the high definition internal plan of the monument featured in this book.
Rio de Janeiro Panorama Views. Locate on this photo the points of interest and attractions that can be seen from the summit of Corcovado Mountain in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Rio de Janeiro Map. Get a sense of distance (how far from each other are the sites in Rio [in miles/kilometers]) as well as direction (North, South, East and West). Locate on this map neighborhoods such as Copacabana Beach, Leblon, Arpoador, Ipanema Beach, Leme, Jardim Botanico, Gavea, Lagoa, Botafogo, Flamengo, Lapa, Largo do Machado Square, Gloria (right between Largo do Machado and Lapa), Centro (the business area and colonial Rio), Santa Teresa, Barra da Tijuca, Lido Square, and São Conrado. Find also where is located the Atlantic Ocean, Guanabara Bay, Novo Rio long haul bus station, the domestic airport Santos Dumont (SDU) [the closest airport to Christ the Redeemer statue], the int’l airport Antonio Carlos Jobim/Galeao (GIG), Pieu Maua (the cruise ship harbour), the minibus shuttle/transfer stand, the ticket office to Sugar Loaf Mountain, direction to off Rio de Janeiro destinations (Niteroi, Petropolis, Buzios, Paraty, Ilha Grande) and Maracana Football Stadium (where the last FIFA World Cup final took place and where the opening ceremony of the 2016 Olympics will take place).
Rio de Janeiro Cruise Ship Calendar. When are the busiest days at the Rio de Janeiro cruise ship port? Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday? or weekends? what dates? which months of the year? Visiting Christ the Redeemer statue on the same day and at the same time that thousands of cruisers visit can lead to long lines and a lot of time wasted (standing in line). This cruise ship calendar features the dates and the times you should avoid going to Christ the Redeemer statue in Brazil.
About the author of this book. Madson, Brazilian, reputable private tour guide to Rio de Janeiro; has been to Christ the Redeemer statue more than 900 times on the tailor-made private guided tours he provides.
Note: throughout this Christ the Redeemer PDF e-book you can click on any blue hyperlink and jump to the page mentioned on it.